About Boyertown

Boyertown’s history goes back more than a century before the war for independence. As early as 1601, the acres compromising the present day town were part of a grant given to Thomas Baylor in Bristol, England. At that time, the area’s rolling hills were covered with virgin timber the likes of which are known only by records settlers kept.

Thomas Baylor did not settle the land. King Charles II of England gave the land to William Penn as a debt payment. It was suggested that the land be named New Wales or Sylvania but the king decided to call it Pennsylvania, meaning “Penn’s Woods” would be more appropriate. Penn called this land a “holy experiment” as we wanted it to be settled by those who sought refuge from religious persecution.

Soon after Penn established his “Holy Experiment”, the German refugees came to Pennsylvaniain in 1683 and settled the Germantown area of Philadelphia. As the area grew, a number of German settlers moved westward where many excelled at farming and animal care.

Since 1738, the settlers of the country far to the west of Philadelphia had tried to establish a new county because of the difficulty in transacting legal business in the county seat of Philadelphia. This was finally accomplished on March 11, 1752 when Berks became the seventh county with Reading as the county seat. By 1811, the population of Berks was 3,000.

During this same time, a vital industry in the area began to grow – mining of iron ore. In 1716, Thomas Rutter came to the area to start a business. He left Germantown and came to the banks or the Manatawny Creek where he built a forge called “Pool Forge”.As he started other businesses, he named them after places in England. Names such as Warwick, Stowe, Coventry and Colebrookdale still exist today.

In Germantown, there also lived a Welsh family named Potts. Thomas Potts had been born in Wales, brought up among Germans and educated by the Quakers. He also went to the Manatawny iron area where he joined Ratter at the Colebrookdale furnace and forge.

In 1830, Thomas Potts acquired 250 acres of the Colebrookdale Estate from the Rutters. Here he erected a large house and called it Popodickon after an Indian chief named Popodick. This mansion still stands near Gablesville. Other mines opened and flourished.

Once the war for independence started, a need developed for iron ore and other goods and services. This is when the indian trails of Berks County became major roads. One of these roads was the “Great Road” (now 422) that ran between Philadelphia and Reading. In 1723, a road serving the Colebrookdale mines was laid through Greshville and Pine, fording the Manatawny at Douglassville and climbing a hill where it met the “Great Road”. These roads formed an important intersection for the Colebrookdale Iron Works.

In 1690, the Mennonite meeting house was built on land purchased from Henry Stauffer. Here they held service every 4 weeks. This building also served as the areas first school. This building was located on North Reading Avenue near the old post office.

Henry K. Boyer became attracted to the area and purchased property across from the meeting house. There he built a fine house and blacksmith shop. The log house became a popular rest stop for travelers. And soon became known as “Boyers”.

Henry’s brother, Daniel, started a small merchandising business in a corner closet of the Inn. The number of patrons increased so Daniel built a store on land across from the Inn and continued growing his business. The brothers became very successful; Henry as a land and mine owner and Daniel as a store owner. Henry eventually moved his business to Reading and Daniel remained to carry on the business at “Boyer’s Corner”.

In 1814, a joint venture between the Lutheran and the Reformed churches resulted in the building of the Union Church (where Good Shepherd stands today).

1818 brought the first public school to the area. It was located at the corner of what is now Philadelphia Avenue and Washington Street.

1819 saw the enlargement of the Mennonite meeting house. The old log structure was torn down and a new large structure was built in it’s place.

Now that the town was supporting 2 churches and a school, a mail service was needed. This was provided by “post riders” and the stage coach once or twice a week. People gathered at Boyers’ Inn to await the mail’s arrival. On February 14, 1828, the Post Office of Boyertown was officially established with Daniel Boyer as the postmaster.

1849 brought advanced education to Boyertown with the establishment of the Mt. Pleasant Seminary. By 1855, it housed 50 boarding students and 75 day students. This building is located on West Philadelphia Avenue near College Street.

Boyers’ Inn changed hands when William Binder took over its management and replaced the small log structure with a magnificent brick building. He renamed it the Union House and it still stands today as the Boyertown Inn.

As early as 1851, a petition for incorporation has been drafted, signed by 13 residents, and sent to the county courts where it was rejected. The residents appealed again in April 1866. Not everyone was in favor of the incorporation. Fearing higher taxes would result to benefit only the town officials, ten members of the opposition drafted a letter of protest which was filed on August 6, 1866. Disregarding the protest, the Grand Jury granted the town’s request for incorporation on October 20, 1866.

Finally the citizens of Boyertown could conduct their own affairs, including free schools.:

1856 – Establishment of the Boyertown Water Company
1860 – Horse market established by William Binder
1860 – School built on South Chestnut Street
1864 – Keystone Cigar Company established by D.S. Erb
1867 – Henry Erb established a news agency by the railroad which later became Mest’s News Agency
Mining continued to prosper in the area
1868 – Establishment of the Boyertown Democrat (now the Boyertown Times)
1868 – Mr. Shapell opened a granite works which later became C.W. Kline
1869 – Railroad came to Boyertown from Pottstown bringing Boyertown’s biggest boom years
1870’s – Most productive years of the mines in the area. Production gradually decreased as water began seeping into those mines and they had to be abandoned.
1870 – Jake Wallach opened a horse stable on the property that once housed the Boyertown Casket Company.
1871 – Lutherans built their own church on North Reading Avenue
1872 – Opening of the Sweinhart Carriage Factory which later became known as the Boyertown Carriage Works.
1872 – Leidy’s Livery stable opened.
1872 – National Bank of Boyertown established (now National Penn Bank)
1873 – Establishment of the Keystone Steam Fire Engine Company
1875 – Daniel Schlegel built a machine shop that later became Emerald Tool and Die on the corner of 2nd and Washington Streets (Taylor Bacus is now located there)
1882 – Formation of the Friendship Hook and Ladder Company
1882 – Erb’s cigar factory owner built a three story building on the corner of Philadephia and Reading Avenues which became known as the Erb building.
1882 – Other businesses running were LeFevre’s hardware store, Leidy and Carver bakery, Lechner’s butcher shop and J.J. Browns Furniture and Mortuary on the corner of Washington and Philadephia Avenue
1883 – Farmer’s National Bank and Trust Company started (now M&T bank)
1891 – Competition came for Leidy in the form of Eshbach’s Livery Stables at the west end of Reading Avenue.
1893 – The first stock in the Boyertown Casket Company was sold.
1893 – Union Foundry established.
1894 – Evangelical Church started on South Washington Street.
1899 – Washington School built on the corner of 3rd and Washington Streets (location of the Boyertown Borough Hall and the Boyertown Post Office)
1900’s – Trolley came to Boyertown
1902 – Conestoga Telephone Company started
1908 – Rhoads Opera House fire
1909 – Lincoln School built on West Philadelphia Avenue (building still stands)

About BaBB

Building a Better Boyertown (BaBB) is a non-profit organization formed in 2002. Boyertown, PA is a Main Street Community, received funding from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development and private donors to focus on downtown revitalization.


Donate now to support the BaBB and its efforts to improve our community. You don't need a PayPal account to donate, simply choose a one-time payment with a credit card.

Boyertown thanks you!

Donate with PayPal